Giovanni hair products have been a personal favorite of mine since my transitioning days. Interestingly, I never got round to trying Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel because I like making my own all natural styling gel.
I remembered I had a full bottle of this gel tucked away somewhere and decided to give it a go since it’s on the max hydration method safe products list anyway.
About Giovanni Cosmetics Hair Products
Giovanni Echo Chic Cosmetics was founded in the 70s by Arthur Guidotti and Peter Stithies. Arthur decided to create the natural product line after his skin started reacting to other commercial hair products.
Today, Giovanni is one of the most recognized hair care lines for natural hair. Their products contain natural and organic products, which are gentle on the skin yet effective.
Giovanni hair products usually have an indicator at the back that mentions how strong the product is, which I really like. In this case, the L.A. Natural Styling Gel is marketed as a strong hold gel.
According to Giovanni, the natural styling gel “…takes hold to the extreme so you can stand firm in the spotlight. Secures shape with extreme hold.”
How I Used Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
If you’re not familiar with the max hydration method, you can learn about it here. I went through all the required steps, then when it was time for the gel step, I squeezed some Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel into an applicator bottle like this one and diluted it with rose water.
I applied it to my hair in sections. The consistency of the gel was smooth and had a mild scent. After application, I scrunched my curls and shook out then air dried. Day 2 end results below.
What I Like About Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
- My hair dried very fast and curls were quite defined.
- Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel contains certified organic ingredients which include vitamin E, aloe vera leaf juice, rosemary oil, nettle and lavender, all excellent ingredients for natural hair care.
- Pocket-friendly cost at less than $8.
What I Didn’t Like About Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
- My hair dried extremely hard and dry like straw, which freaked me out a little but I suppose that means it lived up to its promise of extreme hold.
- When I wet my hair with diluted Kinky Curly Knot Today the next morning, my curls became soft again and refreshed. However, I still didn’t like the way my hair felt after the gel dried.
- It also caused slight build up. With my own natural hair gel, I can use it every day for a week without any build up but my hair felt icky by the third day with Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, and I was itching to wash it out.
- My hair is almost APL and even with diluting it, I still used quite a bit for my hair.
Final Word on Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
Do the dislikes mentioned above mean I won’t use it again? Nope. I don’t waste products. I will finish the bottle.
I will dilute it with more water the next time I try out this gel, and maybe also blow dry lightly instead of air drying all the way.
This is a lot of work for me though so I will likely not repurchase once I finish my current bottle.
Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel Ingredients
Aqua (Purified Water)‚ VP/NA Copolymer‚ Hydroxyethylcellulose‚ Tocopherol (Vitamin E)‚ Citric Acid‚ Phenoxyethanol‚ Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract‚ Fragrance (Includes Essentials Oils)‚ *Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice‚ *Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil‚ *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract *Betula Alba Extract‚ *Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) extract‚ *Achillea Millefolium Extract‚ *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract‚ *Equisetum Arvense Extract‚ *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) extract‚ *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) leaf Extract‚ *Salvia Sclarea (Clary) extract‚ *Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme)‚ *Tussilago Farfara (Coltsfoot) Flower Extract‚ *Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract.
Buy Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
If you’re interested in giving Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel a try, you can get yours HERE. Each bottle is 6.8 fl oz and should last for a bit if you dilute it, and depending on the length of your hair.
I love quite a few of Giovanni hair products like the tea tree triple treat and smooth as silk line and really wanted to fall in love with the Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel.
Unfortunately, that didn’t happen in this case. Your hair can’t like every product. Overall verdict – 7.5/10.
Upcoming reviews of the other products in the Giovanni hair care line, which my hair loved. I will be uploading a new product review every Monday going forward so sign up below to receive notifications of updates.