If you have low porosity hair, read 57 Best Hair Care Products for Low Porosity Hair.
If you’re not sure whether your hair is low porosity or high porosity, read What is Hair Porosity and How Can You Tell Your Porosity Level?
Signs of High Porosity Hair
High porosity hair has highly raised and/or chipped cuticles which are usually caused by overuse of heat treatments, chemical hair coloring and over manipulation of hair strands.
High porosity hair tangles easily because of frayed ends and it’s very hard to keep moisture within high porosity hair because of the raised cuticles.
Focus on repairing the damage before length. This is the best way to grow hair porosity hair.
The products recommended in this article are the very best shampoos, daily conditioners, deep conditioners, leave-in conditioners, natural oils, natural butters, and styling products for the optimal care of high porosity hair.
7 Dos and Donts for High Porosity Hair
- You need to strengthen high porosity hair. Protein treatments work very well in this regard as does henna and indigo treatments every 8 – 10 weeks.
- Stay away from all forms of heat and let your hair air dry as much as possible.
- Avoid shampoos with sulphates and other harsh chemicals
- Seal moisture in hair with heavy butters like shea butter, mango butter, murumuru butter, and cupuacu butter as well as natural oils.
- Use an ACV (apple cider vinegar) mix as a final rinse to close cuticles properly.
- Co-wash high porosity oil often and clarify less.
- Finger detangle as much as possible but if you must use a detangling tool, a very wide tooth comb like a bone comb is best. Stay away from brushes.
Best Shampoos for High Porosity Hair
- Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
- Goldwell Dualsenses Rich Repair Shampoo
- Jane Carter Solution Moisture Nourishing Shampoo
- Living Proof Restore Shampoo
- Phyto Phytoelixir Intense Nutrition Shampoo
Best Conditioners and Deep Conditioners for High Porosity Hair
- ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
- Carols Daughter Sacred Tiare Hair Mask
- Deva Curl Heaven In Hair Moisture Treatment
- Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea CoWash
- Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi All Natural Deep Conditioner
- Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi All Natural Hair Milk
- Elasta QP Intense Fortifying Conditioner
- Goldwell Dualsenses Rich Repair Conditioner
- Kinky Curly Knot Today
- Ouidad Curl Immersion Triple Treat Deep Conditioner
- MopTop Deep Conditioner
- Madam CJ Walker Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Murumuru Oils Ultra-Moisturizing Conditioner
- Roux Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner
- Shea Radiance Maximum Moisture Conditioner
- TGIN Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer
Best Leave In Conditioners for High Porosity Hair
- Alaffia Beautiful Curls Leave-In Conditioner
- AG Hair Moisture Fast Food Leave On Conditioner
- Camille Rose Naturals Moisture Milk
- KeraCare Natural Textures Leave-in Conditioner
- Curls Lavish Curls Leave-In Moisturizer
- Innersense Sweet Spirit Leave-In Conditioner
- Kinky Curly Knot Today
- Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner
- KBB Sweet Ambrosia Conditioner
- Living Proof Leave-in Conditioner
- Mielle Organics White Peony Conditioner
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream
- Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-in Conditioner
- Silk Elements Leave-in Moisturizing Creme
Best Natural Oils and Natural Butters for High Porosity Hair
- Castor Oil
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Mafura Butter
- Shea Butter
- Cupuacu Butter
- Illipe Nut Butter
- Kokum Butter
- Mango Butter
Other Styling Products for High Porosity Hair
- Aussie Instant Freeze Gel
- Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Nourishing and Conditioning Styling Pudding
- Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Oil Heavy Cream
- Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm
- Garnier Fructis Curl Sculpting Cream Gel
- Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
- MopTop Anti-frizz Medium Hold Gel
With love, care, patience, and elimination of harmful hair care practices, expect high porosity hair to be repaired eventually.
If you have any questions about caring for high porosity hair, let me know in the comments section