This article shares the 32 best edge control for 4C hair in 2023. These recommendations will have your edges laid all day without flaking.
I’m focusing on edge control for 4C hair in this article to address one of the common questions I receive.
However, all natural hair types and textures can use these edge control products too.
Finding the best edge control for 4C hair can be a bit of a challenge especially if you’re a newbie to natural hair.
However, with a little trial and error, you should find the best product for your edges in this round-up of best edge control for 4C hair.
What To Look for in Edge Control for 4C Hair?
- No flaking.
- No white residue.
- Slicked-down edges that last all day.
- Doesn’t dry out the edges.
- Doesn’t cause breakage or shedding.
- Doesn’t weigh down the edges.
With the above in mind, Healthy Natural Hair Products put together this list of 32 best edge control products specifically for 4C hair.
5 Best Tips for Getting 4C Edges To Lay Down
- Start on damp or wet hair. While some edge control works on dry hair, you’ll get the best results on 4C hair when damp or wet.
- Use a great edge control gel. There are some great suggestions below for 4C hair but naturalista favorites include She is Bomb Edge Control, Hicks Edges Pomade, The Mane Choice Growth Stimulating Edge Control, and Flawless by Gabrielle Union – Repairing Edge Control.
- A fantastic edge control brush will go a long way in getting the desired outcome on 4C edges. Some naturalista favorites include Baby Tress 3-in-1 Edge Styler Tool, Pattern Beauty Edge Control Brush, and Wet Brush Custom Care 4-In-1 Edge Styler.
- Use a silk or satin scarf to lay down the edges for 15 – 20 minutes after applying the edge control gel. You can find some great silk and satin scarf recommendations here.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. You might have to mix and match a gel with a styling cream to get the right blend for your edges.
There’s a great video tutorial below showing how to lay 4C edges.
Which Edge Control is Best for 4C Hair?
Designed to help smooth down and provide long-lasting hold for your hairline and edges while it moisturizes and protects.
- Delicious Scent, Edge Control, Non-Greasy, Non-Sticky, Non-Flaking, Long-Lasting
Key ingredients in She is Bomb Edge Control include cocoate, glycerin, castor oil, and strawberry. Learn more here.
Provides extra hold for all hair textures and helps repair, restore, and revive.
ORS Olive Oil Edge Control Hair Gel is great for smoothing edges, ponytails, updos, braids, twists, locs, and lace fronts.
- Extra hold for all hair textures. Repair, restore and revive.
- Great for smoothing edges, ponytails, updos, braids, twists, locs and lace fronts.
- Long lasting. Non-flaking. No Build up. Radiant shine. Non-greasy.
Key ingredients include olive oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil, and glycerine. Learn more here.
Goiple Edge Control Wax is formulated to revive hair health as it controls edges with key ingredients such as castor oil, olive oil, and aloe vera leaf juice.
- Edge Control Wax: Keeps styles long-lasting and not greasy.
- Organic Ingredients: The edge control wax can reduce the damage of hair. It helps to keep hair moisturized, soft, & manageable.
- Suitable for All Hair Types: Whether your curls are coiled, kinky, or loose, you can use this edge control wax to blend well with your hair edge.
Suitable for all hair types and not just 4C and is available in different scents. Learn more here.
Magic Collection Edge Effect Professional Edge Control Gel provides maximum edge control for 4C hair.
- Large Size 8oz
- Formulated with Coconut Oil, Vitamin E & Hibicus to treat your edges with respect
- Achieve your maximum shine with our non greasy, no flaking method
Key ingredients include coconut oil, vitamin E, and hibiscus for the standard version.
The edge control is available in 5 other versions with different ingredients depending on your hair needs. Learn more here.
EDEN BodyWorks Coconut Shea Control Edge Glaze conditions and adds shine with coconut oil, shea butter, and aloe.
- Flake Free Firm Hold: Freeze edges, baby hairs, and eyebrows for hours without leaving a hard cast or white flakes
- No Build Up: This Lightweight formula provides great hold for edges or curls without flakes, greasiness, or white residue being left behind
The edge glaze lays down edges without leaving a hard cast, greasiness, or flakes. Learn more here.
Mizani True Textures Sleek Holding Gel provides a soft, shiny, flexible, long-lasting hold without crunch, flaking, or a hard cast.
- Holding Gel: True Textures Sleek Holding Gel is a long lasting firm hold hair gel that locks your styles in place without crunch or flakes, perfect for all hair types
- Sleek Formula: This flexible but firm hold formula keeps your favorites styles looking sleek; featuring Castor, Coconut and Olive Oils, this gel won’t leave your hair crunchy or flaky
Key ingredients include castor oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. Learn more here.
Hicks Edges Pomade is a thicker consistency that holds 4C edges in place without flakiness for long periods of time.
- Hicks Edges Pomade firmly smooths the hair and edges with added shine.
This product can also be used as a curling pomade. It has been a staple in households since the 70s too. Learn more here.
Ebin Edge Tamer promises to provide maximum hold for up to 24 hours while nourishing, protecting, and preventing skin irritation or damage.
- [EXTRA MEGA HOLD] Extra holding finish looks for long lasting all day hold, so you can go about your day without worrying about your edges being in place and flattening down flyaway. 24-hour maximum hold as stated in the name.
Key ingredients include glycerine, castor oil, and argan oil. Learn more here.
Mielle Rosemary Mint Strengthening Edge Gel smoothens, straightens, and supports healthy edges.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY EDGES: Mielle Organics Rosemary Mint Strengthening Edge Gel tames hair edges and ends for sleek shine and a flawless hairstyle with no gummy or greasy residue regardless of your texture or style
- SMOOTH & STRENGTHEN: Soothe and control dryness, damage, flyaways, frizz, and split ends while adding a fresh, invigorating scent to your straight, curly, or coily mane with a styling gel formulated for a slick or bold style
It is infused with biotin to stimulate growth as well as peppermint and rosemary essential oil, babassu, olive, and coconut oil. Learn more here.
Edge Booster Style Factor Extra Strength Pomade is one of the most popular edge tamers in the natural hair community.
- Mini 0.85 Oz
- Maximum Hold
- Moisture Rich Pomade
It’s available in 11 colors and scents and is particularly good for thick and coarse hair types. Learn more here.
Mielle Honey & Ginger Flexible Hold Edge Gel is another favorite of naturalistas and provides a soft and manageable hold for edges and hairstyles.
- Edge Gel: For a soft yet manageable hold, this organic hair gel is perfect for styling and smoothing edges, ponytails and braids; Features wholesome ingredients like aloe, honey and ginger root to give your hair the nutrients it needs
Key ingredients include aloe vera juice, lavender, rice bran, castor oil, ginger, and honey. Learn more here.
Featuring a lightweight formula, Design Essentials Sleek Max Edge Control tames edges and flyaways with ease.
- Maximum Hold Gel: Get maximum hold and tame edges and flyaways with ease thanks to this maximum strength edge control hair gel featuring a lightweight formula that will not flake or cause build up
It creates smooth and sleek edges that last all day and can be used on wet or dry 4C hair. Learn more here.
Murray’s Edge Wax boasts the holding power of beeswax and sweet almond oil to ensure shine and maximum hold. Learn more here.
Camille Rose Lavender Edge Control soothes and conditions as it provides a gentle yet strong hold for all hair types.
- A smoothing and conditioning edge gel infused with real lavender oil
- Chamomile Flower promotes shine, helps prevent hair loss, and encourages healthy hair growth
Chamomile encourages shine while castor oil softens and strengthens plus soothing effects with lavender and calendula. Learn more here.
Curls Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Paste is formulated with organic blueberry extract, argan oil, mango, and shea butter.
- Formulated with organic blueberry extract, argan oil (proven to encourage hair growth), mango, shea butter, and argan oil.
- Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Paste smooths and slicks down unruly edges.
These ingredients work together to provide a smooth and sleek finish to feisty edges. Learn more here.
Crème of Nature Pure Moisture Infusion Edge Control is infused with pure honey, coconut oil, and shea butter for soft and perfect edge control.
- 24-Hour Hold & Control
- Brilliant & Healthy Shine
I’m not a big fan of CON products but a lot of naturalistas swear by this product. Learn more here.
Flawless by Gabrielle Union – Repairing Edge Control provides long-lasting hold without flaking or build-up.
- Enjoy a long-lasting hold without flaking or build-up with the help of Biotin and Passionfruit Seed Oil.
- Infused with Acai Palm Oil and biotin to deliver shine and helps rebuild thinning edges.
The formula is fortified with biotin, passionfruit seed oil, acai oil, and rice bran. Learn more here.
Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Stay & Lay Edge Gel features some extra good ingredients for hair – argan oil, lemongrass oil, avocado oil, and castor oil.
This edge gel provides a maximum slay effect on your edges as it strengthens, reduces shedding, and soothes any irritation and itchiness Learn more here.
GOOD2GRO Edge Resuscitator is formulated with a blend of oils that penetrate the hair to deliver nutrients and strength.
This is a 2 in 1 product -a supreme edge hold for 4C hair while it also stops edge breakage and promotes regrowth.
- GOOD2GRO Hair RESUSCITATOR: Promotes natural hair growth. Restores strength to fragile and thinning hair, repairs damage, improves hair loss and fallout.
The gel is infused with sea moss, aloe vera, babassu oil, castor oil, and chia seeds so you can expect soft, nourished, and fortified edges. Learn more here.
Ossat Form & Hold Wax ensures a firm and strong hold on 4C edges throughout the day.
- Ideal for twists, locks, knots, braids, sculpting and free styling
- Defines and holds curl pattern
With softening, nourishing, and strengthening ingredients like shea butter, olive oil, sunflower oil, tea tree oil, and argan oil. Learn more here.
The edge control smoother from Carol’s Daughter helps to keep 4C edges smooth, soft, and moisturized all day long.
- Mold and Sculpt: Forget sticky pomade, crunchy hair gel and heavy wax to control edges and flyaways! This clear Edge Control smooths, and mold edges for a sleek and polished look. Packaging May Vary. What you receive may not be what is reflected on site
Black vanilla, aloe, shea butter, and sweet almond oil ensure this edge control is a winner for all hair types. Learn more here.
tgin Smooth & Hold Edge Control provides a smooth, finished, and sleek look for the edges.
- Smooth, finished look: tgin smooth & hold edge Control is infused with Nettle leaf & castor oil, this nutrient rich formula holds Edges In place without building up and flaking. Perfect for creating sleek styles, polished ponytails, and tapered cuts.
It’s infused with nettle leaf and castor oil for strengthening while honey provides a ton of softness for 4C edges. Learn more here.
As I Am Long and Luxe Groedge Edge Controller doesn’t disappoint. It strengthens, rejuvenates, and softens without flaking.
- Long Lasting Hold For Edges Without Flaking.
- Rejuvenates and Strenghtens the Hairline To Promote Healthier Hair Length.
- Enriched with Pomegranate, Passion Fruit, Phytosterols, Aloe Vera,…
Key ingredients include pomegranate juice, passion fruit, aloe vera, and saw palmetto and a little goes a long way. Learn more here.
AVLON Keracare Edge Tamer is a super-holding gel formulated to lay down all hair types without reversion throughout the day.
- This super-holding gel can quickly tame any tapered area without the fear of sudden reversion
- May be used on relaxed or natural hair
It’s non-greasy and flake-free with key ingredients castor oil, apple fruit, lemon peel, and camellia leaf extracts. Learn more here.
The Mane Choice Growth Stimulating Edge Control encourages superior and effortless hold and shine on the edges plus hair growth.
It brings the edges to life with nutritious essentials like coconut oil, burdock root oil, rosemary, horsetail, and nettle extract, biotin, marshmallow, and more. Learn more here.
Mixed Chicks Slick Styling Tamer is specially formulated for all hair textures, especially 4C hair.
The formula is moisturizing, softening and delivers long-lasting edge control for 4C hair.
- Formulated For Curly, Coily & Frizzy Textures: Specifically designed for any of these textures or otherwise defiant hair types, this moisturizing formula delivers a long-lasting firm-hold and securely lays down the hairline and tames unruly flyaways without flaking, build-up or sticky residue.
Key ingredients include castor oil, olive oil, and aloe vera leaf juice. Learn more here.
Pattern Edge Control is a healthy gel that works wonders at giving 4C edges a super sleek finish plus extra shine.
Features hair-healthy ingredients like mango butter, cacay oil, castor oil, cucumber, aloe, and camellia sinensis extract. Learn more here.
Formulated with castor oil and Japan wax, TIGI Bed Head Edge Stick creates a soft and pliable hold with a semi-matte finish.
- Bed Head’s Hair Wax Stick For Cool People adds a soft, pliable hold with a semi-matte finish
Easy to work into 4C hair and leaves no build-up. It also features a soothing lavender fragrance. Learn more here.
You need only a little bit of Avlon Keracare Edge Tamer to get that 4C hair looking like you want.
- This super-holding gel can quickly tame any tapered area without the fear of sudden reversion
- May be used on relaxed or natural hair
- Non-Greasy flake-free colorless
The super-hold gel tames for long periods of time without sudden revision and gives edges a silky-smooth texture. Learn more here.
Swag Goo Edge Control Gel provides a strong, all-day hold for 4C hair with a non-greasy and non-flaking formula.
- Aloe, Vitamin E, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil
Ingredients include aloe, vitamin E, coconut oil, and castor oil. Learn more here.
Malin + Goetz Sage Styling Cream is lightweight and versatile. It smoothes 4C edges, tames frizz, definition, and long-lasting hold.
|Malin + Goetz sage styling cream—lightweight, versatile for all hair types & textures. Smoothes,…||$26.00||Buy on Amazon|
This styling cream is great for colored hair too. Features sage, sweet almond oil, chamomile oil, and shea butter. Learn more here.
Vernon François Styling Cream leaves a long-lasting silky feel to 4C edges, locks in moisture, and creates shine.
Features natural hair faves like coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil, argan oil, and panthenol. Learn more here.
How To Use Edge Control on 4C Hair
The video below shares a great technique for using edge control to get 4C edges laid all day using the Baby Tress 3-in-1 Edge Styler Tool on dry hair.
What Are the Disadvantages of Edge Control Gel?
As great as edge control gel is for curly hair, there are some things to keep in mind plus solutions:-
- Disadvantage – Edge control gels and pomades are usually heavy so the hair can lay down properly. If you have fragile edges, an edge control gel might lead to hair fall.
- Solution – Don’t get too heavy-handed with the application and don’t leave it in overnight. You don’t have to rinse your edges. You can wipe the edge control gel off with a warm damp towel.
- Disadvantage – Heavy edge gels and pomades can clog the pores and suffocate the follicles.
- Solution – Don’t make this an everyday application. If you do, wipe off at night and give yourself scalp massages with a product like Iyanu Premium Hair Growth Oil. And always shampoo and deep condition on the weekends.
Final Thoughts on Best Edge Control for 4C Hair
Between the 32 options suggested above and the right techniques, you should be able to find the best edge control for 4C hair.
Don’t forget, you may have to go through a bit of trial and error before you find the best option for your edges on the list so do keep a hair planner while testing.
Next up, the best edge control brushes to go with the best edge control gel for 4C hair.
In an upcoming article, I will also share the best homemade edge control gel. I created this recipe and it’s moisturizing and effective. Stay tuned!
Abi is a curly hair expert, researcher, product tester, and author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She is also the founder of Ade Ori Hair Care, Healthy Natural Hair Products, and Natural Oils for Hair & Beauty. HNHP has strict editorial standards and ensures all the information on Healthy Natural Hair Products is the best for natural hair care. Learn more about our Editorial Policies
This post may contain affiliate links which means we will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.