A detailed breakdown of over 100 best products for low porosity hair in 2023. Low porosity hair can be a challenge and when it doesn’t let moisture get into your hair effectively, it works against your hair growth goals.
What is Hair Porosity and How Can You Tell Your Porosity Level covered the different types of hair porosity and how to identify the porosity level of your hair.
I recommend checking that article out before going through this post.
You can also bookmark the link so you won’t lose this page and can come back to it anytime.
Signs of Low Porosity Hair
If you’re reading this article, you’re probably wondering what the best products for low porosity hair are.
I got you covered with a very comprehensive list below.
You may already be trying some or you’re looking for new recommendations you can mix and match into your regimen.
Low porosity hair has a hard time letting moisture in so you should do things that will really open up your cuticles.
Stir clear of protein-heavy products, focus on light natural oils, use lightweight products, don’t layer on too many products, use heat, and clarify your hair every few weeks.
For high porosity hair, head over to 115 Best Hair Care Products for High Porosity Hair.
125 Best Products for Low Porosity Hair
This list originally started as 57 best products for low porosity hair but has been expanding for some time and has now grown to over 100 best products for low porosity hair.
Be sure to bookmark this page so you can come back to check for updates and ask any questions you have about low porosity hair products.
Best Shampoos for Low Porosity Hair
Since low porosity hair has tightly closed cuticles, is moisture resistant, and is likely to experience product buildup, you should choose shampoos that infuse moisture into the hair and cleanse without stripping natural oils.
You will still need a clarifying shampoo at some point but the low porosity shampoos recommended below are gentle and include key moisturizing ingredients.
They also encourage moisture/protein balance and don’t include ingredients that will weigh down low porosity hair.
- As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
- Alaffia African Black Soap Shampoo
- Alikay Naturals Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo
- Aunt Jackie’s Curls & Coils Oh So Clean! Moisturizing & Softening Shampoo
- Anita Grant Aloe Vera Conditioning Shampoo
- Carol’s Daughter Lisa’s Hair Elixir Shampoo
- Ceremonia Papaya Scalp Scrub Shampoo
- Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
- Curls Pure Curls Clarifying Shampoo
- Eden BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree Shampoo
- Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea All Natural Shampoo
- Essations Tea Tree Solutions Dry and Itchy Scalp Shampoo
- Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo
- Kinky Curly Come Clean Moisturizing Shampoo
- Madam C.J. Walker Beauty Culture Jamaican Black Castor & Murumuru Oils Pure Clarifying Shampoo with ACV
- Mielle Babassu Conditioning Shampoo
- Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey Shampoo
- Melanin Haircare African Black Soap Reviving Shampoo
- Mixed Chicks Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
- Morrocanoil Clarifying Shampoo
- Naked by Essations Detox Clarifying Shampoo
- TGIN Moisture Rich Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- Ouidad Water Works Clarifying Shampoo
- Pattern Cleansing Shampoo
- Klorane Shampoo with Chamomile
- Klorane Detox Shampoo With Aquatic Mint
- Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-Exfoliating Shampoo
- Uncle Funky’s Daughter Rich and Funky Moisturizing Cleanser
Best Conditioners & Deep Conditioners for Low Porosity Hair
Selecting the best conditioners and deep conditioners for low porosity hair is key to keeping hair moisturized, healthy, and happy.
Opt for low-cone or no-cone conditioners and deep conditioners that aren’t too heavy (tip – if too heavy, you can always dilute using these methods).
You should also choose products that have humectants that attract and maintain moisture in low porosity hair plus the all-important moisture/protein balance and always deep condition with heat.
- Arvazallia Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner
- As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner
- Alikay Naturals Avocado Moisture Repairing Mask
- Bomba Curls Forbidden Hair Mask
- Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Daily Damage Repair Ultra Nourishing Hair Mask
- Carol’s Daughter Monoi Repairing Conditioner
- Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil Daily Hair Conditioner
- Curlsmith Double Cream Deep Quencher
- DevaCurl One Condition
- Design Essentials Agave & Lavender Moisturizing & Detangling Conditioner
- Essations Tea Tree Solutions Dry and Itchy Scalp Conditioner
- Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Hair Moisturizer Conditioner
- It’s a 10 Haircare Miracle Deep Conditioner Plus Keratin
- Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment
- Kinky Curly Knot Today
- Kreyol Essence Haitian Black Castor Oil Deep Conditioning Hair Mask
- Living Proof Restore Conditioner
- Maple Holistics Silk 18 Conditioner
- Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrasource Conditioning Balm
- Mielle Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
- Mielle Mongongo Oil Hydrating Conditioner
- Ouidad Curl Immersion Triple Treat Deep Conditioner
- Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner
- Oyin Handmade What The Hemp Deep Moisture Mask
- Pattern Intensive Conditioner for Tight Textures
- Oribe Intense Conditioner for Moisture and Control
- Roux Anti-aging Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Grapeseed & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Weightless Hydrating Conditioner
- Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac Conditioner
- TGIN Triple Moisture Replenishing Conditioner
- TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask
- Trader Joe’s Balanced Moisturizing Nourish Spa Conditioner
- Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner with Peppermint & Eucalyptus
- SheaMoisture Low Porosity Protein Free Conditioner
Best Leave-in Conditioners for Low Porosity Hair
Leave-in conditioners that encourage long-lasting hydration without weighing the hair down are best for low porosity hair.
Water-based formulas with key moisturizing ingredients yet lightweight and nongreasy.
And if you opt for leave-in conditioners with protein, go for the ones with mild proteins and amino acids.
You also have the option to dilute leave in conditioners as well.
- Aveda Cherry Almond Softening Leave-In Conditioner
- Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-In Conditioner
- As I Am Classic Leave-in Conditioner
- Aphogee Curlific Moisture Rich Leave-In
- Aunt Jackie’s Quench Moisture Intensive Leave-in Conditioner
- Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love Moisture Milk
- Camille Rose Naturals Honey Hydrate Leave-in Hair Conditioner
- Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Daily Leave-In Conditioner
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner
- Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave-in Hair Conditioner
- Curlsmith Weightless Air Dry Cream
- Eden BodyWorks Coconut and Shea Leave-in
- Giovanni Direct Leave-in Weightless Moisture Conditioner
- Jane Carter Solutions Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner
- Karen’s Body Beautiful Hair Blossom Moisture Mist
- Kinky Curly Knot Today
- Mielle Ultra Moisturizing White Peony Leave-In Conditioner
- Oyin Handmade Hair Dew Daily Quenching Hair Lotion
- Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Detangling & Moisturizing Leave-In Conditioner
- Taliah Waajid Shea-Coco Condition Daily Leave-In Conditioner
- TGIN Green Tea Super Moist Leave-in Conditioner
- The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian Anti-Breakage & Repair Antidote Leave-In Lotion
- The Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Oil & Honey Daily Moisturizer & Sealing Cream
- The Mane Choice The Alpha Soft As Can Be 3-In-1 Revitalize & Refresh Conditioner
- Verb Leave-In Mist
Best Stylers for Low Porosity Hair
When choosing stylers and serums for low porosity hair, they should have the same characteristics as the conditioners and deep conditioners.
Hair stylers and serums also work much better for hair than hair gels and butters. However, you can still try hair butter but use it lightly.
There are some great recipes for low porosity hair in Natural Butters for Hair: A Guide for Creating Recipes for Healthy Hair.
- As I Am Twist Defining Cream
- Adwoa Beauty Baomint Moisturizing Curl Defining Cream
- Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter Whipped Curl Crème
- Bounce Curl Avocado & Rose Oil Clump and Define Cream
- Eden Bodyworks Curl Defining Creme
- MyHoneyChild Coconut Hair Milk
- Curls Heavy Whipped Cream
- Camile Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter
- Ouidad Curl Shaper Take Shape Plumping + Defining Cream
- Rizos Curls Defining Cream
- SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
- TGIN Twist & Define Cream
Best Oils for Low Porosity Hair
With low porosity hair, avoid heavy oils and products with heavy oils. You should also avoid products with mineral oil or petrolatum as much as possible.
Nevertheless, there are some oils that work for low porosity hair. The oils recommended below are lightweight, non-greasy, and easily absorbed.
- Arewa Hair Styling Oil
- Abyssinian Oil
- Argan Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Broccoli Seed Oil
- Camellia Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Kukui Nut Oil
- Marula Oil
- Moringa Oil
- Monoi Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Rosehip Seed Oil
- Rice Bran Oil
- Sacha Inchi Oil
- Soybean Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
Other Helpful Tools for Low Porosity Hair
The tools below go in long way in helping low porosity hair recover to normal porosity levels
- Dyson Airwrap
- Bonnet Hair Dryer Attachment
- Tabletop Hair Steamer
- Q Redew Hair Steamer
- Scalp Massage Brush
Whichever products you choose, remember there will be some trial and error before you find your best low porosity hair products.
You should also rotate between products as a best practice so your low porosity hair can experience an infusion of nutrients.
Where to Buy Products for Low Porosity Hair?
For international naturalistas, you can buy most of the products via the following channels:-
- Amazon Global Shipping – ships to over 100 countries
- iHerb.com – ships all over the world
- Ulta Beauty
- Beautifphic – ships to most countries in Africa
You can also check the Black-Owned Business Directory. Some of the companies offer international shipping.
What is Hair Porosity and How Can You Tell Your Porosity Level went into details about the best hair care regimen for low porosity hair.
There’s nothing bad about having low porosity hair.
With continued hair education, care, and patience, you will learn the best way to care for low porosity hair.
Abi is a curly hair expert, researcher, product tester, and author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She is also the founder of Ade Ori Hair Care, Healthy Natural Hair Products, and Natural Oils for Hair & Beauty. HNHP has strict editorial standards and ensures all the information on Healthy Natural Hair Products is the best for natural hair care. Learn more about our Editorial Policies
This post may contain affiliate links which means we will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.