A hair straightener brush is a game-changer for healthy curly hair care. A healthy way to straighten curly to kinky hair without causing damage.
The previous article explored the best one-step hairdryer and styler for curly hair. You can catch up on that HERE.
This article will be looking at hair straightening brushes as they are different from one-step hair stylers though people confuse them.
Do Hair Straightening Brushes Work?
A hair straightening brush is intended to straighten your hair in lesser time than a flat iron.
Hair straightening brushes first arrived on the scene a few years ago with the Dafni Hair Straightening Brush.
Over the years, more brands have launched hair straightening brushes which have made this device more affordable.
When you use a hair straightening brush, elements within the brush heat up to a consistent temperature.
When you pass this heating element through your hair, it straightens out the curls and gives hair a healthy sheen and glow.
12 Benefits of a Hair Straightener Brush
1. Straightens Hair Faster
The hair straightening brush bristles heat up evenly, which ensures hair straightens faster with sleeker and smoother results.
2. No Additional Tools Required
When you use a flat iron, you usually have to use a tail comb or something else to get the best results.
The bristles within the hair straightening brush separate the strands and distribute the heat evenly among every strand.
3. A Hair Straightener Brush Saves Time
The hair straightening brush does the work of flat iron in less time. You don’t have to run the brush through your hair more than once or twice before it gets the job done.
4. A Hair Straightener Brush is Safer for Hair
The ceramic plates of the hair straightening brush don’t come into direct contact with your hair the way a flat iron would.
The raised brushes create a safer way to get the heat to your hair without damaging it or causing that burned hair smell.
5. A Hair Straightener Brush Controls Frizz
You can give your hair a quick run-over with the straightening brush before leaving the house to eliminate any frizz.
6. Can Be Used More Often
As you know, flat irons shouldn’t be used often because they can cause damaged based on their design.
However, because the plates on a hair straightening brush don’t come into contact directly with the hair, there’s leeway to use it more often.
That doesn’t mean you should use it every day though. Once or twice a month should be fine.
7. A Hair Straightener Brush Maintains Hair Volume
One of the reasons I don’t care for flat irons is because of the thin appearance it gives hair.
With a hair straightening brush, your hair still maintains a bit of volume. This should be good news for people with finer hair.
8. Gentler on Hair
Hair straightening brushes are gentler on the hair. You don’t have to clamp down quite as hard as you would a flat iron or pull with as much tension as a round brush.
The bristles are spaced out and evenly heated to glide easily through hair without pulling out strands.
9. Gives Salon Quality Results
Usually, you may go into the salon one or two times a year to get your hair professionally straightened. This can cost anything from $100 – $200.
You can achieve the same professional results with a great hair straightening brush and you can keep the hairstyle for up to a week.
10. A Hair Straightener Brush is Great Value for Money
When hair straightening brushes first arrived in the beauty world, the cost was atrocious but nowadays you can get a good brush for as little as $50.
Used and stored properly, you can expect your hair straightening brush to last for years before a replacement is needed.
11. Handy Size
Hair straightening brushes are a handy size and you can take it on the road with you while traveling.
It can easily fit into your luggage without taking up too much space. Some of them come with a travel pouch too.
12. Gives Fine Hair Volume
While a flat iron would flatten out your hair completely and give an appearance of thinness to fine hair, a hair straightening brush preserves volume.
It straightens your hair without making it look flat and thin.
Hair Straightening Brush Tips for Usage
The rules for using a hair straightening brush are similar to using a one-step hair styler:-
- Hair should be properly detangled.
- Straighten hair in small sections.
- Use a small amount of heat protectant.
- Use only on dry hair. This is not for wet hair.
17 Best Hair Straightener Brushes for Curly Hair
Below are my top 17 recommendations for the best hair straightening brushes for curly hair.
ghd Glide Hot Brush styles and smooths hair in seconds. Equipped with ceramic technology and ionizer for eliminating frizz.
It also combines shorter and longer bristles to optimize styling larger sections of hair. Get it HERE.
- QUICK AND EASY BLOW DRYER BRUSH STYLING ― Pearl ceramic coating for the ultimate snag-free glide and glossy finish. The ghd Glide hot-air hair styler features 2x high performance ceramic heaters for uniform heat distribution at the safer-for-hair temperature of 365ºF.
- HEALTHY-LOOKING RESULTS ― The optimum temperature for styling on every hair type, 365ºF temperature, allows this hair styling brush to give you guaranteed gorgeous, healthy-looking hair.
- FRIZZ-FREE, SMOOTH FINISH ― This heat brush and hair dryer dryer is designed with ceramic technology and ionizer for taming hair and eliminating frizz. The combination of high density shorter and longer bristles simplifies styling larger sections of hair and your everyday routine.
- PROFESSIONAL LENGTH CORD ― You can be as fierce as you want with the same outstanding heated brush performance anywhere in the world. With its long 9 ft. cord for hassle-free styling, you’ll have the comfort of professional salon results wherever you are with the Glide smoothing brush hair dryer.
The Drybar brush heats up quickly and is equipped with ionic technology to seal in shine and prevent frizz. Get it HERE.
- A heated straightening brush that combines the heat of a flat iron with the structure of a paddle brush to create a smooth, frizz-free look in one easy step
- Key benefits: – Achieves shiny, frizz-free hair – Straightens hair in one easy step – Seals cuticle for a smooth style.
- It includes ionic technology that seals the cuticle for less frizz and tons of shine while styling. Digital temperature control allows for custom styling on all.
Tymo Hair Straightening Brush combines a straightening brush and flat iron which helps achieve even straighter hairstyles in only one pass.
Equipped with 5 heat settings and temperature settings plus auto-off function and anti-scald shell around the comb.
The hair straightening brush also includes a heatproof glove and carry bag. Get it HERE.
- Comb and Flat Iron in One – TYMO RING straightening comb combines a comb & flat hair iron in one to deliver super straight hairstyles in a single pass, making hair styling easier and more efficient than a flat iron hair straightener.
- PTC Heating & 3D Brush Teeth – TYMO hair straightener brush adopts 3D brush teeth with PTC heating technology to deliver even heat, reducing 50% heat damage and creates salon grades result without frizz.
Ella Bella Hair Straightening Brush is equipped with heat-resistant bristles and advanced ionic technology for smoother hair and damage prevention.
The heat brush has adjustable temperature settings with a digital LCD display and auto shut-off function. Also includes gloves and a mat. Get it HERE.
Jose Eber Digital Straightening Brush heat control settings are digital so you can select a precise setting.
The ceramic bristles are anti-static for frizz-free results while the silicone bristle tips guard your scalp against the heated bristles.
It has a lightweight and elegant design too. Get it HERE.
This is a budget-friendly straightening brush with a double ionic generator for even silkier hair.
It has four heating levels, a 360° anti-winding power cord, and an auto shut-off function.
The package includes the hair straightening brush, 1 heat-resistant glove, and 1 carrying bag for travel. Get it HERE.
- ● SMOOTH, SHINY, FRIZZ-FREE HAIR IN MINUTES: Does your hair take forever to style? Ditch the flat iron. A few brushes from the MiroPure hair brush straightener will transform your thick, curly hair into sleek, straight, and salon-smooth.
- ● EASY TO USE: Achieving gorgeously straight strands couldn’t be easier. In just 60 seconds, your brush will be heated up and ready to glide through your hair. And to make it easier? A 360° swivel cord provides effortless maneuverability.
MEGAWISE Pro Ceramic Ionic Hair Straightener Brush has denser nano-heating teeth for a stylish yet healthy finish for all hair types.
Equipped with double anion technology – meaning it reduces the incidence of split ends and reduces damage.
Heats up to 450℉, auto shut off function, 360 swivel cord, and anti-scald teeth. GET IT HERE.
L’ANGE HAIR Le Vite Hair Straightener Brush heats up quickly and distributes heat evenly for a quick finish to hairstyles.
Equipped with LCD digital interface and heats up to 450°F plus double negative ion technology keeps hair smooth and hydrated. GET IT HERE.
- DESIGNED TO CREATE SMOOTH, SLEEK HAIR – Enjoy hair that’s lustrous and smooth with Le Vite hair straightening brush. No matter what type of hair you have – straight, curly, wavy, or tightly coiled – this hot brush is the perfect way to achieve the straight, frizz-free locks you’ve been looking for.
- POWERFUL YET EASY TO USE – Combine the power of a hair straightener with the simplicity of a hairbrush in one game-changing tool. On dry hair, all it takes is a single pass from roots to tip at a slow to moderate pace to straighten and seal your strands for the sleek beautiful look you desire.
LANDOT Hair Straightener Brush has a ceramic coating with real crushed pearls which adds immense shine to hair and smooth, frizz-free results.
The straightener brush has 12 digital display heat settings and heats up to 450°F. GET IT HERE.
Glamfields Ionic Hair Straightener Brush is equipped with faster heating MCH technology and reaches max temperature within 30 seconds.
It has 12 temperature levels, temperature adjust button, 360° swivel chord, and an LCD temperature display.
The high-density nano comb brush makes it especially suitable for curly hair. Get it HERE.
- 【Hair Protection】 The hair straightener brush releases rich negative ions and far Infrared which help in eliminating frizz, knotting and split ends. This helps in improving the overall quality of the hair, resulting in a much smoother and healthier hair which is easy to manage anytime, anywhere
- 【30-40 Seconds Heat up】Most straight hair brush take a long time to heat up thus wasting the time of the user all the while increasing the electricity bill cost. GLAMFIELDS Hair straightening brush heats up within 30-40 seconds thus saving time and energy. This is possible because of its MCH technology which improves the overall user experience. Its wider structure and denser comb teeth help reduce the time for straightening considerably
FemJolie Hair Straightener Brush features a fast-heating ceramic plate, auto shut-off function, LCD digital display and a non-grip comfort handle.
The shape of the brush bristles can also help you get a scalp massage in there while using it. Get it HERE.
Asavea Hair Straightening Brush has an ergonomic design with a built-in mirror and comfort grip that makes it easy to maneuver while straightening hair.
It has negative ion protection and heats up within 60 seconds. It also has an automatic shut-off feature and a 360° swivel cord. Get it HERE.
Apalus Hair Straightening Brush reaches salon temperature within minutes. It has special bid tips that prevent accidental burns and hair snags.
Ceramic teeth design with LED temperature display. It also includes an auto shut-off within 60 minutes and a 360°anti-winding power cord. Get it HERE.
- Temperature setting guide: Constant Heat: Max 450℉, auto keep constant temperature at 365℉ for all types of hair, customized set 410℉for natural texture hair, 450℉ for thick or wavy hair
- Moisturizing and hydrating care, to do a deep care with oil treatment for the hair with brush Messaging Tips less than 125℉ anti Scald, Zero damage
Dafni Hair Straightening Brush was the original straightening brush from a few years ago.
It is 10 times more powerful than a flat iron. The price has come down a bit since those days.
The Dafni brush heats up to 10 times faster than a flat iron. The 3D design of the brush enables you to style multiple layers of hair in one stroke.
That means not having to run the brush through your hair too many times. Get it HERE.
- Unique patent pending 3D technology that creates multiple contact points with your hair to achieve healthy and straight hair in minutes.
- DAFNI is made of top quality materials that ensure best results with every use
- DAFNI is 10 times more powerful than a flat iron straightener it takes 50 seconds to heat up to the optimal temperature.
Infiniti Pro by Conair Diamond combines diamond-infused ceramic with ionic technology to give your hair the best results.
Equipped with a combination of nylon, silicone, and ceramic bristles to optimize the hairstyling process.
It comes with 3 heat settings and is available in black, rose gold, and pink. Get it HERE.
- Diamond Brilliance Shine System combines diamond-infused ceramic with ionic technology to help transform hair. Diamond-infused ceramic provides advanced heat technology for shiny, straight, smooth results
- Paddle Brush: More contact with hair for faster styling
- Ionic Generator: Neutralizes static to remove frizz PLUS adds visible smoothness and shine
- Nylon, silicone and ceramic bristles: Guide styler through hair for enhanced manageability
InStyler Straight Up Ceramic Hair Straightening Brush has 7 heat settings, an auto shut-off function, and a digital display.
It is equipped with 65 ceramic heated plates and heats up within 30 minutes.
It also has cool tip ionic bristles that prevent the heated surface from touching the scalp. Get it HERE.
- Fast, Powerful Styling – Straight Up will leave you speechless with its unprecedented styling power, with 65 powerful ceramic heated plates that deliver instant, even temperature across the entire surface. Straighten in half the time, while keeping body and volume. It has 65 powerful ceramic heated plates with 7 heat settings from 330°F to 450°F, plus a digital temperature display.
- Frizz-Free Finish – The secret behind the styling power is two different frizz-fighting technologies. The ionic bristles de-frizz as your hair passes through the brush, and the powerful ceramic heated plates straighten hair quickly.
USpicy Straightener Brush has 7 temperature settings, an LCD temperature display, an auto shut-off function, and ionic technology.
The tips are heat-insulated and designed to prevent accidental burns on the scalp.
The pack includes a travel bag and gloves to protect hands. Get it HERE.
- Save Time and Energy: Wake up on the morning with a frizzy hair, plug in the hair straightening brush anti-frizz that will heat up in 40s, then you can run your hair through it quick and go
- Adjustable Temperature with LED Screen: 7 temperature levels to suit a variety of women hair types and ethnicities. 410-450F for thick wavy hair. 330-400F for medium volume hair. 250-320F for thin fine hair. With the hair straightener brush, easy to be your own professional stylist. For thick curly hair, we suggest you separate hairs into layers and then sweep the hair brush straightener through
Final Thoughts on Hair Straightener Brushes
All the hair straightening brushes recommended in this article have the following important functions in common:-
- Variable heat settings so you can control how much heat you apply to your hair.
- Auto shut off function so you don’t accidentally burn down the house.
- Ceramic plates for smoother results
- Ion technology for faster straightening and protection.
- Silicone/insulated tips to protect the scalp from burns.
- 360-degree swivel cord design for ease of use with both hands.
I like the ones that also come with travel pouches/cases and gloves for protecting your hands.
Can You Use a Hair Straightener Brush on Wet Hair?
No, you cannot. It doesn’t blow heated air. It just has bristles that heat up to straighten hair.
It cannot be used on wet hair and can damage your hair if you try this.
If you want a brush that straightens as it blowdries then you want the one-step hair dry hair and styler or the Dyson Airwrap. Check out recommendations HERE.
Have you tried a hair straightening brush? Share your experience in the comments section.
Abi is a curly hair expert, researcher, product tester, and author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She is also the founder of Ade Ori Hair Care, Healthy Natural Hair Products, and Natural Oils for Hair & Beauty. HNHP has strict editorial standards and ensures all the information on Healthy Natural Hair Products is the best for natural hair care. Learn more about our Editorial Policies
This post may contain affiliate links which means we will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.