I learned about ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment in the weeks following my last relaxer.
A friend suggested trying it out before going natural but I had already made up my mind by then.
In the following years after I became natural, I suffered a serious bout of hair loss and the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment came up again and I ordered it.
Have you signed up for the free resources yet? The library offers tons of free information on healthy hair care and growth. Learn more HERE.
When it arrived, I was alarmed by the term “professional” on the package and thought I wouldn’t be able to apply it at home.
However, after watching a few YouTube videos and interacting with other naturalistas, I took the plunge.
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Review
What is the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment?
The ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a salon-quality product formulated with magnesium and modified proteins.
The purpose of this product is to drastically reduce serious hair breakage and infuse hair with instant strength.
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is ideal for damaged hair that has been weakened by chemical processes.
These are processes like relaxers, keratin treatments, other texturizers, seriously damaged hair, and over moisturized hair.
It can also be used to reverse damage from using flat irons and blow dryers. However, this depends on the extent of the damage.
Sometimes, hair reverts back to its curly state after applying ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment and sometimes it doesn’t because the damage is too extensive.
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Warning
Before I continue with the review, I should mention ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a very serious protein treatment.
If done incorrectly, you could end up with bald patches or broken hair. Only do this treatment when you have time and won’t be distracted.
Step-by-Step Guide for Using the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment on Natural Hair
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment comes in three sizes – a one-use pack, a 4 oz size, and the 16 oz salon size.
The one-use pack contains the protein treatment, which is the first step, and the balancing moisturizer, which is the second step.
For the other sizes, you will have to buy the balancing moisturizer separately.
You can buy any size but if it’s the first time you’re trying it, the one-use pack is better.
Natural hair only needs this kind of treatment once or twice a year so the one-use pack or 4 oz bottle is more economical.
In addition to the treatment, you will also require the following items:-
- An old t-shirt you don’t care about
- ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair or your own shampoo
- Hood dryer or handheld hairdryer
- Butterfly clamps
- Disposable gloves. This isn’t absolutely necessary but if you have cuts on your hand, I highly recommend it.
- A towel
- Rebuilds hair structure within six weeks
- Ideal for permed, tinted or relaxed hair
- Stops hair breakage
- Item Package Dimension: 4.0″ L x 6.0″ W x 8.0″ H
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Directions
- Shampoo your hair with ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair. However, you can use your own shampoo. Shampoo recommendations HERE.
- After shampooing, gently towel blot excess water from hair.
- Section your hair into 10 – 12 sections if you haven’t already.
- Start applying the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment to your hair generously. Be careful when applying. If it gets into your eyes, it stings!
- Saturate every strand and distribute evenly with your hands or a wide-tooth comb.
- After application, twist each section and pin up your hair with the clamps then drape the towel across your shoulders.
- Sit under the hood dryer or use the handheld hair dryer until your hair gets very very hard. The purpose of the heat is to bind the protein to your hair.
- Do not touch or agitate your hair. If you do, your hair will break off like a cracker. If you’re using the hand-held hair dryer, do not let the device touch your hair.
- It takes around 5 – 10 minutes for your hair to harden completely.
- Wet your hair again with lukewarm water until the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is rinsed completely from your hair.
- Apply ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer to your hair and scalp. Leave on for two minutes and rinse out.
- Product Type:Beauty
- Item Package Dimension:21.08 cm L X4.06 cm W X21.59 cm H
- Item Package Weight:1.1 lbs
- Country Of Origin: United States
Best Tips for Using ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment on Natural Hair
1. Use an Applicator Bottle
This reduces the possibility of it getting into your eyes and/or wasting the product.
|sdoot Applicator Bottle for Hair, 16.9 ounce Hair Color Applicator Bottle 2 Pack Squeeze Bottle…||$8.69||BUY NOW|
2. Deep Condition Afterwards
Always follow up with a deep conditioning treatment that includes heat.
I wasn’t satisfied that the balancing moisturizer did enough post-treatment so I added a deep conditioning step in there.
Ensure the deep conditioner has no proteins in it. You can get some moisturizing deep conditioner ideas HERE.
3. Light a Candle
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment smells pretty awful so you may want to light a scented candle or something prior to application.
You can also add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the mix to mask the smell.
4. Protect Your Hands
Use disposable gloves if you can. In addition to stinging if you have cuts, the consistency is irritating and will stick to your hands.
If you are apprehensive about using this product, you could do a test run on a patch of previously shed hair.
|PROMEDIX P 200Pcs Disposable Gloves,Hybrid Plastic Gloves,Latex Free Gloves for Household…||BUY NOW|
What I loved About ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment
I used ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment because I was suffering from bald spots and brittle hair.
After rinsing out and applying the balancing moisturizer, my hair felt strong and elastic to the touch. It did what it was supposed to do.
Nowadays, I henna and indigo a lot, and this treatment already mimic protein.
I also keep away from heat and chemicals so my hair doesn’t require ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment anymore.
However, if you use heat a lot or dye your hair with chemicals, then ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment should be in your rotation somewhere.
How Long Does ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Take?
The entire process from start to finish minus the deep conditioning treatment took around an hour but I’m slow.
It might take longer the first time because you’re being overcareful but once you get the hang of it, it’ll take less time.
How Long to Leave ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment on Natural Hair?
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment should be in your hair until it has hardened completely.
This process takes around 5 – 10 minutes with the dryer on medium to high settings. Do not touch your hair during this process.
How Often Can You Do the Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment on Natural Hair?
Aphogee Two-step Treatment Protein is for hair that is severely damaged.
If you wear your hair curly most of the time and keep away from harmful hair care practices, you don’t really need protein treatments more than 1 – 2 times a year.
You can also do maintenance in-between treatments to maintain protein/moisture balance.
For this, try ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor, which is a mild weekly protein treatment for hair.
For relaxed hair or bleached hair, more frequent treatments are required every 6 to 8 weeks or so.
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Ingredients
Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua, Eau), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool
Buy ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment & Balancing Moisturizer
Other ApHogee Products for Damaged Hair
- ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
- ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair
- ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer
Have you ever used Aphogee Two-step Protein Treatment? What was your experience? Share in the comments section.
Abi is a curly hair expert, researcher, product tester, and author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She is also the founder of Ade Ori Hair Care, Healthy Natural Hair Products, and Natural Oils for Hair & Beauty. HNHP has strict editorial standards and ensures all the information on Healthy Natural Hair Products is the best for natural hair care. Learn more about our Editorial Policies
This post may contain affiliate links which means we will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.