I learned about ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment in the weeks following my last relaxer.
A friend suggested trying it our before going natural but I had already made up my mind by then.
In the following years after I became natural, I suffered a serious bout of hair loss and the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment came up again and I ordered it.
When it arrived, I was alarmed by the term “professional” on the package and thought I wouldn’t be able to apply it at home.
However, after watching a few YouTube videos and interacting with other naturalistas, I took the plunge.
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Review
What is the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment?
The ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a salon quality product formulated with magnesium and modified proteins.
The purpose of this product is to drastically reduce serious hair breakage and infuse hair with instant strength.
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is ideal for hair that has been weakened by relaxers and other texturizers, bleached chemically, seriously damaged hair and over moisturized hair.
It can also be used to reverse damage from using flat irons and blow dryers. However, this depends on the extent of the damage.
Sometimes, hair reverts back to its curly state after applying ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment and sometimes it doesn’t because the damage is too extensive.
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Warning
Before I continue with the review, I should mention ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a very serious protein treatment.
If done incorrectly, you could end up with bald patches or broken hair. Only do this treatment when you have time and won’t be distracted.
Step by Step Guide for Using the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment on Natural Hair
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment comes in three sizes – a one use pack which includes the protein treatment, which is the first step and the balancing moisturizer, which is the second step.
The second is the 4 oz size and the third is the 16 oz salon size with the balancing moisturizer sold separately.
You can buy any size but if it’s the first time you’re trying it, the one use pack is better. Natural hair only needs this kind of treatment one or twice a year so the one use pack or 4 oz bottle is more economical.
In addition to the treatment, you will also require the following items:-
- An old t-shirt you don’t care about
- ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair or your own shampoo
- Hood dryer or hand held hair dryer
- Butterfly clamps
- Disposable gloves. This isn’t absolutely necessary but if you have cuts on your hand, I highly recommend it.
- A towel
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Directions
- Shampoo your hair with ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair. However, you can use your own shampoo. Shampoo recommendations HERE.
- After shampooing, gently towel blot excess water from hair.
- Section your hair into 10 – 12 sections if you haven’t already.
- Start applying the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment to your hair generously. Be careful with application. If it gets into your eyes, it stings!
- Saturate every strand and distribute evenly with your hands or a wide tooth comb.
- After application, twist each section and pin up your hair with the clamps then drape the towel across your shoulders.
- Sit under the hood dryer or use the hand held hair dryer until your hair gets very very hard. The purpose of the heat is to bind the protein to your hair.
- Do not touch or agitate your hair. If you do, your hair will break off like a cracker. If you’re using the hand held hair dryer, do not let the device touch your hair.
- It takes around 5 – 10 minutes for your hair to harden completely.
- Wet your hair again with lukewarm water until the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is rinsed completely from your hair.
- Apply ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer to your hair and scalp. Leave on for two minutes and rinse out.
Best Tips for Using ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment on Natural Hair
- Use an applicator bottle or spray bottle to spread the treatment through your hair. This reduces the possibility of it getting into your eyes and/or wasting the product.
- Follow up with a deep conditioning treatment with heat. I wasn’t satisfied that the balancing moisturizer did enough post treatment. Ensure the deep conditioner has no proteins in it.
- ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment smells pretty awful so you may want to light a scented candle or something prior to application. You can also add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the mix to mask the smell.
- Use gloves if you can. In addition to stinging if you have cuts, the consistency is irritating and will stick to your hands.
- If you are apprehensive about using this product, you could do a test run on a patch of previously shed hair.
What I loved About ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment
I used ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment because I was suffering from bald spots and brittle hair.
After rinsing out and applying the balancing moisturizer, my hair felt strong and elastic to the touch. It did what it was supposed to do.
However, if you use heat a lot or dye your hair with chemicals, then ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment should be in your rotation somewhere.
How Long Does ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Take?
The entire process from start to finish minus the deep conditioning treatment took around an hour but I’m slow.
It might take longer the first time because you’re being overcareful but once you get the hang of it, it’ll take less time.
How Long to Leave ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment on Natural Hair?
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment should be in your hair until it has hardened completely. This process takes around 5 – 10 minutes with the dryer on medium – high.
How Often Can You Do the Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment on Natural Hair?
Aphogee Two-step Treatment Protein is for hair that is severely damaged. If you wear your hair natural most of the time and keep away from harmful hair care practices, you don’t really need to apply Aphogee Two-step Protein Treatment more than a few times a year.
For maintenance purposes in-between treatments and to maintain protein/moisture balance, you can use ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor, which is a mild weekly protein treatment for hair.
For relaxed hair or bleached hair, more frequent treatments are required every 6 8 weeks or so.
ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment Ingredients
Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua, Eau), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool
Buy ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment & Balancing Moistruizer
Other ApHogee Products for Damaged Hair
- ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
- ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair
- ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer
Have you ever used Aphogee Two-step Protein Treatment? What was your experience? Share in the comments section.