This is the final article in the amla powder for hair series and today, I’ll be detailing the 7 best amla powder recipes for natural hair. Nourish and strengthen hair and eliminate hair fall and excessive shedding when you incorporate these recipes into your regimen.
To catch up on the earlier articles in the series, head on over to:-
Amla powder is one of the most recommended Ayurvedic herbs for natural hair care and when incorporated into your hair care regimen, it can promote healthier hair growth.
Amla powder also conditions and nourishes the hair and scalp and helps eliminate scalp conditioners like dandruff and itchiness.
There are many recipes for amla powder but I’ve narrowed them down to the best 7 for natural hair care in this article.
The recipes only require a few ingredients. If there’s an ingredient that doesn’t work for you, let me know in the comments section and I’ll make substitute recommendations.
Best Amla Powder Recipes for Hair
1. Amla Powder for Hair Fall and Excessive Shedding Recipe
- 3 – 5 tablespoons of amla powder
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
- Make a paste with the amla powder and lukewarm water until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Apply to your hair in sections and pin up then cover with a disposable cap.
- Leave until the amla powder paste is dry then wash out with a mild moisturizing shampoo like Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Shampoo. I have made more mild moisturizing shampoo recommendations below.
- Deep condition your hair with heat.
2. Amla Powder Recipe for Grey Hair Recipe
This is for APL hair. If your hair is shorter or longer, adjust the ingredients accordingly but don’t use less than 2 tablespoons of amla powder.
Follow the directions for using alma powder for grey hair at Amla Powder for Hair. This article also includes a recipe card.
3. Amla Powder Hair Conditioner Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of amla powder
- 3 – 5 tablespoons of a good moisturizing deep conditioner
- 1 teaspoon of raw honey
- Measure the amla powder and deep conditioner into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk until smooth then add in the raw honey and whisk again.
- Shampoo your hair then apply the amla powder conditioner to your hair in sections.
- Deep condition with heat then rinse out thoroughly and proceed with the rest of your regimen.
You can use this recipe on every full regimen day. Works best with a moisturizing deep conditioner.
You can also replace the raw honey with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or olive oil.
4. Amla Powder Hair Oil Recipe
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil
- 3 tablespoons of amla powder or 2 tablespoons of dried amla fruit
- 8 oz squeeze cap bottle
- Pour the coconut oil, sweet almond oil, and amla powder or dried fruit into a saucepan.
- Gently bring to a boil until the mix turns brown then remove from the stove.
- Set aside to cool down then strain out the amla oil and store in the squeeze cap bottle.
Use as a scalp massage oil 2 – 3 times a week. You can also mix it with aloe vera juice and use it as a pre-poo.
5. Amla Powder Anti-Dandruff Recipe
- Measure the amla powder and shikakai powder into a mixing bowl.
- Pour in the plain yoghurt and whisk until smooth.
- Apply the paste to your hair and scalp. Massage thoroughly into your scalp.
- Twist and pin up and cover your head with a disposable cap.
- Leave on for 30 minutes then wash out with a mild moisturizing shampoo.
This recipe gently removes impurities from the scalp, restores a healthy pH balance on the scalp, and eliminates dandruff and itchiness.
6. Amla Powder Hair Strengthening Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of amla powder
- 2 tablespoons of shikakai powder
- 1 tablespoon of reetha (soapnut) powder
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
- Measure the amla powder, shikakai powder, and reetha powder into a mixing bowl and stream in enough water to form a thin paste.
- Apply to your hair in sections. Twist and pin up your hair and cover with a disposable cap for an hour.
- After an hour, use the mix like shampoo and work into your hair and scalp some more. Shikakai powder and reetha powder contains saponins, which is a natural cleanser. Utilize a scalp massage brush as well.
- Rinse thoroughly until the water runs clean then deep condition your hair.
This recipe unclogs the scalp, strengthens hair follicles, and cleanses hair without stripping natural oils.
7. Amla Powder for Thicker Hair Recipe
- Measure the amla powder and hibiscus powder into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk a bit then add enough coconut oil to form a paste. You can also use water instead of coconut oil.
- Apply the paste to your hair and scalp. Really work into your strands.
- Twist and pin up then cover with a disposable cap and leave on for 45 minutes.
- Rinse and wash out with a mild moisturizing shampoo.
In addition to improving hair density and texture, this recipe also helps with hair fall and shedding.
Organic Amla Powder Recommendations
Below are my top organic amla powder recommendations for hair:-
- Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Amla Berry Powder
- Just Jaivik 100% Organic Amla Powder
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Amla Berry Powder
- Jiva Organic Amla Powder
- Merlion Naturals Organic Amla Powder
- Banyan Botanicals Organic Amalaki Powder
- AyurForest Organic Amla Powder
When washing out Ayurvedic powders, do not use shampoos with harsh ingredients. Use mild moisturizing shampoos.
Some good recommendations for mild moisturizing shampoos include:-
- Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo
- Alaffia African Black Soap
- Aunt Jackie’s Curls & Coils Oh So Clean! Moisturizing & Softening Shampoo
- Bee Mine Botanical Moisturizing Shampoo
- Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
- Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo
If you want to be notified whenever a new article is added to Healthy Natural Hair Products, sign up below.
Subscribers also get exclusive hair care freebies and discounts on Ade Ori Hair Care products.
Abi is a curly hair expert, researcher, product tester, and author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She is also the founder of Ade Ori Hair Care, Healthy Natural Hair Products, and Natural Oils for Hair & Beauty. HNHP has strict editorial standards and ensures all the information on Healthy Natural Hair Products is the best for natural hair care. Learn more about our Editorial Policies
This post may contain affiliate links which means we will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.