Find out the best hair growth supplements for hair and choose the best one for your hair needs from these recommendations.
In the pursuit of long hair, many women try various hair growth methods, which can be found on many websites.
However, many of them do not work. Some suggestions can be quite preposterous like those discussed HERE.
We’ll look at the science behind taking hair growth vitamins in this article plus the different categories of vitamins.
I’ll also cover which of these vitamins are important for hair growth and which hair growth supplements are worth the money.
There’s a whole chapter in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide dedicated to hair growth vitamins and supplements.
Find out how you can get it for 20% off as well as free access to our resource library HERE.
Do Hair Growth Supplements Work?
Vitamins are organic compounds and nutrients required in various amounts to help the body function and operate at optimal levels.
While the human body produces some vitamins, they are usually not enough and need to be supported via our diet, preferably, or taking supplements.
Each vitamin has a specific function within the human body. At the current time, there are 13 known vitamins, which are:
- Vitamin A – supports healthy hair growth and prevents issues like dry scalp and dry hair. Vitamin A also supports cell regeneration and can be found in foods like poultry and eggs.
- Vitamin B complex – B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, and B12 – more information on the B complex vitamins below.
- Vitamin C – helps the body absorb iron and produce collagen. You can get vitamin C from fruits and vegetables.
- Vitamin D – more on vitamin D for hair growth below.
- Vitamin E – helps reduce oxidative stress on the hair and scalp. A powerful antioxidant for soft and nourished hair. You can find vitamin D in nuts and seeds.
- Vitamin K – more on vitamin K for hair growth below.
Different Categories of Hair Growth Vitamins Explained
Vitamins fall into two categories – fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins.
What Are Fat-Soluble Vitamins?
Fat-soluble vitamins are required by the body in small amounts and can be stored in the body for months.
When they are unutilized, fat-soluble vitamins are stored in the liver and adipose (fat) tissue.
Vitamins that fall in this category are vitamins A, D, E, and K.
The good news about fat-soluble vitamins is they are not lost or diminished when foods containing them are cooked.
What Are Water-Soluble Vitamins?
Water-soluble vitamins cannot be stored in the body for long and are usually expelled via urine. They need to be replenished every day.
These vitamins are easily lost when food is over-processed or overcooked. Vitamins that fall in this category are the B complex vitamins and vitamin C.
Taking vitamins that contain huge amounts of fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins can be toxic to the human body.
The Most Important Vitamins for Hair Growth
The body requires all the above-mentioned vitamins.
However, when it comes to hair growth, the specific vitamins needed are vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B7, vitamin D, and vitamin K.
Below are the foods where you can find these vitamins the most.
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
Vitamin B1 can be found in kale, sunflower seeds, brown rice, rye, asparagus, potatoes, cauliflower, oranges, eggs, pork, and liver.
It can also be found in whole grains and fortified grain products such as cereal, and enriched products.
Other nutrients added during the fortifying process include niacin (B3), riboflavin (B2), folate and iron.
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
Vitamin B2 can be found in liver, green beans, okra, cottage cheese, asparagus, milk, meat, bananas, fish, eggs, whole, and enriched grain products.
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B3 can be found in mushrooms, legumes, chicken, beef, milk, kidneys, tomatoes, peanuts, leafy green vegetables, sweet potatoes, asparagus, fish, carrots, and eggs.
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
Vitamin B6 can be found in meat, milk, vegetables, legumes, nuts, whole grains, and cereals. Pyridoxine is aka Pyridoxal and Pyridoxamine.
Vitamin B7 (Biotin)
Vitamin B7 can be found in fresh vegetables, kidneys, egg yolks, chicken or beef liver, yeast bread, and cereals.
Biotin is also made by intestinal bacteria.
Vitamin D stimulates the follicles and encourages healthy hair growth.
The best source of vitamin D is the sun followed by fatty fish like salmon, beef, liver eggs, milk, and dairy products fortified with vitamin D.
10 – 15 fifteen minutes in the sun without sunscreen and the hands, arms, and face exposed twice a week is sufficient to receive enough vitamin D.
If you spend a longer time than that in sunlight, definitely apply sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or more.
People who live in extremely cold places like Canada will likely need vitamin D supplementation.
Vitamin K can be found in green leafy vegetables such as turnip greens and spinach, and fruits.
Vitamin K is also naturally produced by the bacteria in the intestines.
Natural oils like soybean oil, cottonseed oil, sesame seed oil, canola oil, and olive oil also contain vitamin K.
For even more foods for healthy hair growth, be sure to download a free copy of 95 Foods for Healthy Hair Care & Growth.
Unfortunately, it is not always possible to include the entire spectrum of foods mentioned above in your diet due to convenience, preference, etc.
In this case, this is where hair growth vitamins come in to supplement your efforts.
So, which are the best hair growth supplements on the market? The hair growth supplement you choose should have the following benefits:
What to Look for in Hair Growth Supplements?
- They should be targeted specifically toward hair growth.
- They should include as many of the vitamins for hair growth as possible or better still, all of them.
- There are some herbal extracts also important for hair growth like saw palmetto and Ginkgo Biloba. These should be included as well. I cover a broad spectrum of this in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide.
- While product reviews are highly subjective, the positive reviews for hair growth supplements should fall into a higher than 60% category.
With the above in mind, below are the 5 best hair growth supplements on the market based on reviews, price, and product qualities.
Related Hair Growth Resources
What Hair Growth Supplements Work Best?
Below are the top 5 hair growth supplements that actually work for hair health and growth when used correctly with healthy hair care practices.
- Support Natural Hair Growth And Retention: Manetabolism Plus is a daily complete dietary supplement formulated to grow head hair longer, thicker, faster, and healthier. It can rejuvenate dead, inactive, and slow-growing follicles.
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- Crowning Glory – Toji: Pure Density is the only known major hair growth vitamin product to include Eclipta Alba, an herbal alternative to Minoxidil. Grow your hair the natural way!
- Premium Ingredients – Each capsule contains Saw Palmetto Extract and DHT Blockers to provide hormonal support against hair loss*. Biotin, Horsetail Extract, and MSM to provide nutritional support for healthy natural hair*. Ginkgo Biloba, Grape Seed Extract, and Vitamin E to provide circulatory support for healthy hair growth*
- SUPPORTS BEAUTIFUL HAIR; GLOWING SKIN; AND HEALTHY NAILS (1): Hair Skin & Nails Rapid Release Softgels contain biotin; vitamins; minerals; antioxidants and other nutrients consistently found in healthy hair; skin and nails
- WITH BEAUTY-SUPPORTING BIOTIN: Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin & Nails vitamins contain beauty-supporting biotin; a vital nutrient that helps to maintain healthy hair while supporting overall beauty (1)
- NOURISH YOUR HAIR – Beautifully Bamboo is a complete formula combining the power of bamboo silica with targeted nutrition that promotes the healthiest hair
- HEALTHY SKIN- Our formula also contains collagen which works synergistically with silica to promote youthful skin. We also added vitamins A, B, C, D, & E to give ultimate support to healthy skin formation.
- One 60 ct box of Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements for Women
- Suitable for all hair types, Viviscal Hair Growth Vitamin Supplements have been scientifically proven to nourish thinning hair and promote existing hair growth (2)
While there are many other hair growth vitamins available on the market, the above recommendations are also based on testing over a period of 6 months.
6 Important Things When It Comes to Hair Growth Supplements
1. Know When to Consult a Physician
Always consult your physician before you start consuming supplements especially if you’re pregnant or nursing.
2. Eat a Balanced Diet
Taking supplements doesn’t automatically mean you’re getting enough vitamins.
You should still try to include as many natural food sources as possible in your diet.
3. Follow Supplement Directions
Taking more isn’t always better and can be counterproductive and toxic. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer on the label or your physician.
4. Check for Deficiencies
If you suspect you’re deficient, you should take a blood test to check for any suspected deficiencies before you start taking supplements.
5. Patience is Important
Irrespective of what the bottle promises, you cannot see results overnight.
It will take time and consistency to see the best results while also keeping in mind healthy hair care practices.
6. Too Much is Bad
Do not take multiple supplement types at a time. Too much is just as bad as not enough. Try it one at a time.
If you try too many at once, it will also be difficult to conclude what’s working or not.
Pin It for Later – Best Hair Growth Supplements
Pin Best Hair Growth Supplements for later and follow Healthy Natural Hair Products on Pinterest for more hair care tips to maximize healthy hair growth.
Abi is a curly hair expert, researcher, product tester, and author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She is also the founder of Ade Ori Hair Care, Healthy Natural Hair Products, and Natural Oils for Hair & Beauty. HNHP has strict editorial standards and ensures all the information on Healthy Natural Hair Products is the best for natural hair care. Learn more about our Editorial Policies
This post may contain affiliate links which means we will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.