Are you scratching your head wondering what on earth liquid amino acids are and how they can help with hair growth?
I was too when I first found out about this. Just when you think you have your curly hair regimen on point, something else comes along that leaves you and the PJ in you on tenterhooks.
You may have already heard of liquid amino acids before via the Cherry Lola method or the Max Hydration Method.
I will be breaking down the science behind liquid amino acids in this article, benefits of liquid amino acids for hair, how they promote hair growth and two DIY amino acid hair treatments.
What Are Amino Acids?
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Everyone’s body needs amino acids to create muscle and grow healthy hair.
Amino acids are also important when it comes to the transportation and storage of nutrients in the body.
There are 20 standard amino acids, which are categorized as essential, semi-essential, and non-essential.
Only 9 of the standard amino acids are essential for the human body as we cannot produce them ourselves. They are:-
These essential amino acids can be found in foods such as meat, legumes, seeds, nuts, fish, poultry, plant protein, leafy greens, etc.
A lot of these foods and possible variations are covered extensively in 95 Foods for Healthy Hair Care & Growth.
What Are Liquid Amino Acids?
Liquid amino acid is a liquid protein concentrate derived from soybeans or coconut sap and purified water.
It’s usually promoted as a healthy, gluten-free, and vegan-free alternative to soy sauce.
Liquid amino is used in salads, stir-fries, casseroles, dressings, marinades, soups, veggies and so much more.
If you try out liquid amino acids in your hair care regimen and your hair doesn’t like it, it’s not wasted.
You can transfer it to the kitchen and use it in a lot of imaginative ways in marinades, baking and stir-frying.
Benefits of Liquid Amino Acids for Hair
So, if something is so fabulous for cooking, why would it make any difference if applied directly to hair?
Well, we already put half of what we cook with on our hair so why not liquid amino acids?
1. Amino Acids Strengthen Hair
2. Amino Acids Softens Hair
A liquid amino acid treatment softens curly hair and makes it easier to detangle by slightly loosening your curls. Please note it cannot straighten curly hair.
3. Amino Acids Eliminate Damage
If you have damaged hair from too much heat or chemicals, liquid amino acids can help restore health and strength to your hair.
4. Amino Acids Improve Hair Color
When used as a treatment post dyeing hair with henna and indigo, it will improve the color vibrancy and make it last longer.
5. Amino Acids Stop Shedding and Breakage
A good liquid amino acid treatment can also stop excessive hair shedding and breakage. It also increases the hair’s ability to retain moisture.
How are liquid amino acids able to achieve all these things? As the name states, they contain amino acids that promote healthier hair and hair growth.
- What is Hair Porosity & How Can You Tell Your Porosity Level?
- 50 Best Hair Care Products for High Porosity Hair
- 57 Best Hair Care Products for Low Porosity Hair
Related Hair Growth Resources
What Amino Acids Promote Hair Growth?
There are 20 standard amino acids. Out of these, only 4 are required for stronger and healthier hair growth. They are:-
Arginine is a non-essential amino acid found in nuts, red meat, and dairy products.
It stimulates blood circulation around hair follicles ensuring all the nutrients your body produces reached your scalp as well.
Out of all the standard amino acids, cysteine makes up the biggest component of keratin. It improves hair strength and provides sulfur to the hair cells.
This promotes silkier hair texture, elasticity, and stronger hair leading to better retention. Cysteine can be found in broccoli, green veggies, and dairy products.
Lysine boasts restorative properties. It stimulates collagen production. This will make hair more resilient to damage, and give fine hair bounce and volume.
Collagen production is one of the things in our body that reduces as we age so this amino acid is especially important. Lysine can be found in meat, seafood, and cheese.
Last but not least, methionine is an essential amino acid that helps make pre-collagen (the precursor to collagen). It also works as an antioxidant to help prevent an imbalance called oxidation stress.
Not only is methionine a great amino acid for hair loss, but studies have also suggested that it may even play a role in slowing down grey hair! We’ll take it.
Working together, all these amino acids can help stimulate stronger and healthier hair growth.
How to Use Liquid Amino Acids on Hair
Cherry Lola Treatment
The Cherry Lola treatment was created some time ago by a blogger. It’s a formulation that’s supposed to help repair damaged hair and promote strength and shine.
The treatment is simple, contains only a few ingredients, and requires less than an hour although it can be messy. The Cherry Lola treatment is also the foundation for the Max Hydration Method.
The Cherry Lola treatment requires baking soda, liquid amino acids, and plain yogurt.
- Mix 1 16 oz pack of plain yoghurt with 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of liquid amino acids.
- Whisk until smooth and apply to clean hair in sections.
- Leave on for 30 minutes then co-wash your hair with a moisturizing conditioner.
The next article will go into greater detail about the Cherry Lola treatment including tips and tricks to make the application less messy.
Max Hydration Method
The Max Hydration Method was developed by a lady on BHM Forum. The idea behind the method is to help all hair types achieve maximum curl definition and moisture retention.
The Max Hydration Method involves 5 steps, which can be very time-consuming but I use the modified method, which cuts down the time significantly.
You can find a complete breakdown of the Max Hydration Method in this article.
Where to Buy Liquid Amino Acids?
- LIQUID AMINOS: Bragg Liquid Aminos is better than Soy Sauce! There is no Gluten, GMO’s, alcohol, artificial coloring, and it is not fermented.
- SOY SAUCE ALTERNATIVE: Liquid Aminos is a low-sodium alternative to traditional soy sauce. This Bragg seasoning tastes great in a stir-fry with fish, tofu, chicken, or beef. Experience the great taste without all the extra salt from soy sauce.
- LIQUID PROTEIN CONCENTRATE: Bragg Liquid Aminos is a liquid protein concentrate made from Certified NON-GMO Soybeans and purified water. No table salt is added.
- GOURMET SEASONING: Season your food with this soy sauce alternative. It is great in salads, dressings, soups, veggies, steamed greens, rice & beans, casseroles, potatoes, tempeh, gravies, marinades, and sauces.
- The Bragg Difference: A diet rich in organic fruits and veggies is essential to vibrant health. Our ingredients always come from the land, not a lab. It’s our vital difference.
These products contain the following amino acids – arginine, aspartic, lysine, glutamic, serine, threonine, alanine, glycine, proline, isoleucine, methionine, valine, phenylalanine, tyrosine, and leucine.
Hair Products with Amino Acids
- Kiehl’s Amino Acid Conditioner
- Maple Holistics Silk18 Natural Hair Conditioner
- Kiehl’s Amino Acid Shampoo
- Wella Professionals Fusion Mask
- Redken All Soft Heavy Cream
Pin it for Later – How To Use Liquid Amino Acids for Stronger & Healthier Hair Growth
Abi is a curly hair expert, researcher, product tester, and author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She is also the founder of Ade Ori Hair Care, Healthy Natural Hair Products, and Natural Oils for Hair & Beauty. HNHP has strict editorial standards and ensures all the information on Healthy Natural Hair Products is the best for natural hair care. Learn more about our Editorial Policies
This post may contain affiliate links which means we will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.