Sea moss is abundant in vitamins, minerals and amino acids that make it a suitable aid in healthy hair care and growth. It promotes moisture, and shine, and optimizes hair health.
Traditionally, sea moss was used primarily as a food thickening agent. It was also used as a dietary supplement
In this article, I will be exploring the benefits of sea moss for hair, how it assists with hair growth, and how to use sea moss in your hair care regimen.
What is Sea Moss?
Sea moss is aka Irish moss, carrageen moss, and red seaweed. It’s a species of red algae that can be found in Europe and North America.
Sea moss varies in color and can be greenish-yellow, red, dark purple, and brownish.
Sea moss is rich in iodine, sulfur, and protein and is used to extract carrageenan, a gelatinous substance used in baked goods and cosmetics.
Carrageenan is also used to thicken soups, stews, and other food items. It can also be eaten on its own or used in smoothies.
Nutrition Breakdown of Sea Moss
Sea moss contains the following vitamins and minerals – vitamins A, B2, B12, C, E, K, calcium, folate, iron, potassium, sodium, and zinc.
Sea moss is also rich in amino acids and contains over 90 additional trace minerals.
9 Benefits of Sea Moss for Hair
1. Strengthens Hair
Sea moss fortifies hair strands and prevents unnecessary breakage and excessive shedding.
You should see a significant boost in hair health and elasticity after only a few months of using sea moss in your regimen.
2. Optimizes Hair Growth
The B vitamins and vitamin E content in sea moss slow down hair loss and help keep your scalp healthy and hydrated.
3. Anti-inflammatory Properties
Sea moss has anti-inflammatory properties that help treat scalp conditions such as dryness, itchiness, and irritation.
4. Antimicrobial Properties
The antimicrobial properties in sea moss help protect your scalp from infection if you accidentally scratch it or experience irritation.
5. Hydrates Dry Hair
Sea moss is an extremely hydrating ingredient that can infuse dry and dull hair with much-needed moisture and elasticity.
6. Enhances Detangling
Due to the gel-like texture of sea moss once activated, it aids in detangling hair properly with minimal breakage and hair loss.
7. Imparts Shine
A property in sea moss known as fucoidan helps impart softness and shine to dry curls.
8. All Natural Ingredient
Sea moss is 100% natural, free of chemicals, and suitable for all hair types including sensitive skin.
9. Detoxifies Hair & Scalp
Sea moss boasts antioxidant properties that help detoxify the hair and scalp and prevent further damage.
Applying a sea moss conditioner after using a bentonite clay mask is an amazing treat for high porosity hair.
Where to Buy Sea Moss?
You can find sea moss at your local health store or at the following online locations:-
Sea Moss Hair Products
- Camille Rose Algae Renew Deep Conditioning Mask – this deep conditioning mask can be used as a pre-poo too. Enriched with shea butter, mango butter, hemp seed oil, jojoba oil, and, of course, sea moss. Learn more here.
- Aveda sap moss™ weightless hydration conditioner – this detangling conditioner is formulated with Iceland moss, larch tree sap extract, coconut oil, and soybean oil for maximum hydration and manageability. Learn more here.
- Aveda sap moss™ weightless hydration shampoo – the companion shampoo to the conditioner above, it contains the same key ingredients plus mild surfactants for gentle cleansing without stripping. Learn more here.
- Curls Sea Moss 92 Mineral Conditioner – this conditioner is chockfull of sea moss, algae extract, jojoba oil, aloe vera juice, and more for an intense moisturizing treatment for dry hair. Learn more here.
- Mielle Sea Moss Collection – this sea moss-infused collection contains a shampoo, conditioner, curl pudding, hair masque, and leave-in conditioner. Learn more here.
- Pattern Strong Hold Gel – this gel is infused with sea moss, aloe vera, chia seeds, argan oil, castor oil, and aloe very leaf juice for a nourishing and hydrating hold without any flakiness or dryness. Learn more here.
Sea Moss Side Effects
Sea moss is well tolerated when used topically. However, if you’re going to consume it, note that it contains high levels of iodine.
Iodine consumption can cause issues if you’re dealing with any autoimmune thyroid condition.
Sea moss consumption may also cause stomach upset and irritation.
In any case, always consult your doctor before adding any supplements to your diet if you have any health issues.
And if you’re allergic to seafood, it’s best to conduct a patch test before adding sea moss to your hair care regimen.
Final Word on Sea Moss Benefits for Hair
While sea moss can help with scalp health, moisture, detangling, and softness, it’s not a cure-all for hair issues. It certainly is not a magical hair growth ingredient.
However, you can be sure including sea moss in your hair care regimen will lead to healthier strands and better length retention.
The next article will cover how to use sea moss on hair and some amazing sea moss recipes for natural hair.
This post may contain affiliate links which means we will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.